STEP ON A CRACK

My commute to work often finds me day dreaming, usually about shoes. I work in a small office, with 3 other casually dressed people, but when I take the train in to Toronto I have a 30 min walk through the financial district in amongst good looking men in very nice suits and women who know a thing or two about fashion. Since I don't want to look out of place on my walk to the office, I dress up in my "professional" clothes and a great pair of heels, and although I wish I owned a sexy pair of Christian Louboutin cork pumps, I make due with what my budget allows. Walking in heels downtown does have it's challenges though, but I'm starting to look more pro, more J.Lo., as I maneuver the cobble stones, pot holes. trolley tracks, man hole covers, subway grates, and my favourite, the stair you must descend to get off the train.
In any case, there have been a few times when the heel has gotten stuck in something and once it went through the floor in the hallway leading to our office, we're on the third floor of an old factory - I now walk close to the walls, but all in all I'm getting pretty competent with my high heel skills, which I give partial credit to a childhood nursery rhyme. When I was younger I took "step on a crack, break your mother's back" very seriously and made sure not to step on any cracks, a habit that has served me well as I've moved in to the grown up world of impractical footwear. I spent 30 min. thinking about how that "story" finally makes sense, you learn not to step on cracks so that when you get older and are wearing stilettos you won't get your heel stuck in a crack, so maybe the other nursery rhymes have a purpose too. Hansel and Gretel taught us not to eat houses, or maybe the moral was not to take candy from a stranger. Rapunzel taught us to never cut our hair, or always carry a rope, not sure which, or even how she ended up in the tower, but whatever.
And to tie this all together, Cinderella taught us it's not worth cramming your foot into a shoe like the wicked step sisters, it will only cause you pain and there are comfortable ones out there. Cinderella also taught us that shoes define you as a person, and you can never put a price on a shoe that makes you feel like a princess. So again I bring up the Louboutin red cork pump, my limited budget, and the fact that Christmas is less than 4 months away - is Santa really out there?

1 Comments:
So..... did you get the shoes??? Merry Christmas and Happy New year Petrina. Missing you in Chester County!
5:08 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home