IF YOUR SHIP DOESN'T COME IN, SWIM OUT TO IT. - Jonathan Winters

Thursday, October 28, 2004

We spent the rest of our time in Playa del Carmen hanging out on the beach, swimming, playing frisbee, and exploring the areas off the beaten path. We stopped in to one local Taco stand for a snack and we still aren't sure what we ate. We don't speak Spanish and the owner didn't speak English, but the meat was unlike anything we'd eaten before, rather grissely, got stuck in my teeth, and I think it just may be dog ... tasted OK. There are dogs that run wild in Playa, and I have never seen dogs as happy as the ones in this city; like Darin said, the scenery is beautiful, the weather is perfect, you make friends with tourists who feed you, you get to do what you want wouldn't you be happy?

On our third day in Playa, we had gone for breakfast and were making our way back to the hotel via the beach when Darin decided to wait for me on the beach while I went to get changed and get sunscreen. Our hotel was a few blocks away from the beach, a very beautiful hotel with a great pool and waterfall, and when I got back to the beach about 30 min later Darin was surrounded by topless, hot, European, female sunbathers! I mean I know Darin is a hotty, but the fact that a handful of women chose to spread their towels beside him while the tanned, well, he thought he was king, thought he'd won the jackpot!

After a few days in Playa del Carmen we ventured over to Isla Mujeres. Our trusty driver picked us up at 2 pm with his 11 year old son, and we have never seen a more beautiful child! Arturo helped me learn some Spanish and I taught him some English, we had a great time. We had to catch the ferry in Cancun to take us over to Isla Mujeres and Alex drove us through the tourist strip of the city ... I felt like I was in an American city. All the stores were first world stores, the hotels were huge, the all inclusive kinds, and I was glad that we had chosen not to stay there; I like to be around locals, a place that is different than what I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home