IF YOUR SHIP DOESN'T COME IN, SWIM OUT TO IT. - Jonathan Winters

Thursday, October 28, 2004

There was a lot more to do on the island that I had thought, but in all honesty, after swimming with the dolphins I really didn't care what else we did ... the high from that experience carried me for days. A trip to this part of the world wouldn't be complete without going snorkeling. We were enjoying a drink at the "2 for 1" Margarita place one night, mainly known for it's tequila, when we met a New Zealander named Mat who informed us that the area has some of the best snorkeling in the world. He also informed us that it is tradition on Isla Mujeres, the Island of the Women, once home to an infamous pirate who was involved in slave trading and died of heartbreak, that one must do a Scorpion Tequila shot. Since my stomach was a bit upset from consuming alcohol I had to promise, and shake on it, that I would do a Scorpion Tequila the next night. So I sat watching as drunk Darin and Mat ate Scorpions. The way they work is the shot glass arrives with a Scorpion in it, then the bartender fills the glass with Tequila. You drink the Tequila until the tail of the Scorpion pokes out, grab the Scorpion, eat it, and down it with the rest of the shot. When I did mine the day after Darin, I was sober and gutsy, put the thing in my mouth, bit into it and this mushy center popped out, which made me jump! The bug is pretty chewy and once I realized I wasn't making any progress by biting into it, I just swallowed it whole, the remaining Tequila came in handy to down the sucker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home